The iPad Mini was announced on 23 October 2012 in America. It is the first iPad to depart from the original iPad size, and this creation seems to follow the market’s demand for smaller tablet devices. Both Amazon and Samsung have clearly demonstrated the popularity of a smaller tablet option.
Some key differences between the iPad mini and iPad with Retina display include the screen size, the resolution, and the device’s dimensions:
- Screen Size Comparison. The iPad mini has a 7.9 inch diagonal display screen, and the original iPad boasts a 9.7 inch diagonal screen.
- Screen Resolution Comparison. The resolution of the iPad mini is 1024-by-768 pixels and the iPad with retina display offers 2048-by-1536 pixels.
- Dimensions and Weight Comparison. The iPad Mini is about 17% shorter in height, 27% shorter in width, 23% smaller in depth, and about 50% lighter.
Now the key question for us residing in Malaysia: When will Apple Release the iPad Mini in Malaysia?
Unfortunately, we don’t have any close, insider connections to capture that answer; however, we have reviewed the previous iPad release dates in Malaysia to make a prediction. Let’s take a look.
Historical iPad Release Dates in Malaysia
iPad (1st Generation)
- USA iPad Release Date: 3 April 2010
- Malaysia iPad Release Date: 30 November 2010
The iPad 1st generation was released in Malaysia about 8 months later!
- USA iPad 2 Release Date: 11 March 2011
- Malaysia iPad 2 Release Date: 20 April 2011
The iPad 2 was released in Malaysia about 2 months later.
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation)
- USA iPad 3 Release Date: 15 March, 2012
- Malaysia iPad 3 Release Date: 20 April 2012
The iPad 3 was released in Malaysia about 1 month later.
iPad (4th Generation) and iPad Mini
- USA iPad 4th Gen and Mini Release Date: 2 November 2012
- Malaysia iPad 4th Gen and Mini Release Date: ??
While history does not predict the future, it can provide insights to make informed, educated guesses. Given the narrowing release dates between Malaysia and the United States, we are guessing the iPad mini will be released in Malaysia December 2012.
This would also be timely for Christmas shoppers in Malaysia.
Watch Apple’s Introduction Video to the iPad Mini:
" ExpatGo welcomes and encourages comments, input, and divergent opinions. However, we kindly request that you use suitable language in your comments, and refrain from any sort of personal attack, hate speech, or disparaging rhetoric. Comments not in line with this are subject to removal from the site. "