Visas for Malaysia

Print Friendly, PDF & Email


Social Visit Pass. Single entry visa. This is given to most foreign nationals at the time they arrive in Malaysia and is valid for a period of 90 days. Some countries are required to obtain a visa before travelling to Malaysia and this should be checked with the appropriate people before embarking on your journey. Some countries which require a visa in advance of travel applay online for an e-visa.

Multiple Entry Visa. This if for business travellers who need to enter the country multiple times. It is usually issued for 3 to 12 months. Indian and Chinses nationals may apply for this visa for multiple social visits.

Transit Visa. This is for people transiting Malaysia who wish to stop off in Malaysia.


Professional Visit Pass.  This pass in issued to people with specific skills, for a stay of up to 12 months

Employment Pass. There are currently three categories of employment pass which are determined based on the salary being offered.

From RM3,000 to RM4,999 Issued to suitably skilled worker for up to 12 months renewable. They are not allowed to bring dependents with them

From RM5000 to RM9,999 issued for up to two years  and dependents are allowed

RM1000 and over for a contract of up to five years and dependents are allowed

The employment pass can only be requested by the company which is hiring the expat and done online.  In order to qualify for hiring a foreigner the company has to have a certain minimum paid up capital which is dependent on whether it is owned by locals or foreigners.

100% local owned250,000
Joint venture foreign/local350,000
100% foreign owned500,000

Spouses of people on employment passes and their children under the age of 18 will receive a Dependent Pass. Spouses require approval to work in Malaysia. Children over the age of 18 may be issued a long term social visit pass.

Long Term Social Visit Pass. These can be issued to immediate relatives of people with employment passes. This includes parents and parents in law, children over the age of 18 as well as legally adopted children.

Maids It is possible for people with an employment pass and Malaysia My Second Home visas to employ a foreign maid. They have to apply for Social Visit (temporary employment) pass for her..

Residence Pass. Foreigners who have lived in Malaysia for three or more years, hold an employment pass, have suitable qualifications and receive an annual basic salary in excess of RM180,000 a year can apply for Residence Pass. This is valid for ten years and unlike an employment pass, which is linked to one company, the Residence Pass allows the holder to work for any company they choose. Their spouse is also permitted to work. More information can be found here

Malaysia My Second Home. This visa is for people who would like to reside but not work in Malaysia. It is open to anyone over 21 years of age who has enough funds to support themselves. The current requirement is to show an offshore income of over RM10,000 equivalent as well as liquid assets. It is possible to work part time (up to 20 hours a week) for a Malaysian company, with approval.  For more information check out our website

Permanent Residency. It is extremely difficult to acquire Permanent Residency in Malaysia, It is typically given to spouses of Malaysian citizens. It is also possible for the following categories of people to obtain it:

  • Investors seeking Permanent Residency need to place a minimum of US$2 million in a Fixed Deposit in a Malaysian bank
  • People with outstanding skills in selected fields may also qualify for Permanent Residency
  • Spouses of Malaysian citizens who should have lived in Malaysia for over 5 years.
  • People who can meet the Point System which focuses on various matters including the value of investment the person has made in Malaysia, their proficiency in Bahasa Malaysia and their personal qualifications.


The Expatriate Services Division falls under the immigration department but focuses on expats who want to work in Malaysia. They provide useful information on their website and can be visited for people who have specific question they want answered

Their main office is in the immigration department in Purtajaya:

ESD, Headquarters of the Immigration Department Malaysia, Level 3 (Podium) No 15, Persiaran Perdana, Precint 2, 62550 Putrajaya.

More convenient for people in KL is their office e in Mutiara Damansara:

Level 4, Surian Tower, No 1, Jalan PJU 7/3, Mutiara Damansara, 47810 Petaling Jaya, Selangor Their website is

"ExpatGo welcomes and encourages comments, input, and divergent opinions. However, we kindly request that you use suitable language in your comments, and refrain from any sort of personal attack, hate speech, or disparaging rhetoric. Comments not in line with this are subject to removal from the site. "

To Top