Greater Kuala Lumpur, or the Klang Valley, is fast on track to becoming one of the world’s top 20 cities. This is due to the government’s Economic Transformation Programme that aims to turn Malaysia into a high-income nation that is both inclusive and sustainable by the year 2020, with KL leading the way and thus hoping to propel the city higher onto the world stage. With rapid development underway, working alongside a combination of other various unique factors, KL shows no signs of slowing down. Some of these factors include a multi-cultural society rich with history, heritage, traditions, and customs, as well as KL having both modern and traditional qualities. While Malaysia aims for the skies in the years to come, it won’t abandon or forget its rich past and instead will choose to build upon that foundation in hopes of soaring to new heights.
1) We love our food! We’ve dedicated multiple streets and areas, like Jalan Alor, as culinary temples.
Photo credit: kayvian, Instagram
2) Although we enjoy inexpensive delicious street food, we also love the finer tastes that life has to offer, be they Chinese, Malay, Indian or any other cuisine.
Photo credit: Makan Kitchen, Double Tree Hilton
3) Our city also has access to almost every popular fruit imaginable; rambutans, mangosteens, durians, and other exotics included.
Photo credit: nathanh100, Flickr
4) We also have a diverse library of fauna. Such as the world’s largest butterfly gardens with over 5000 winged beauties…
Photo credit: Amber de Bruin, Flickr
5) As well as the world’s largest free-flight walk-in aviary.
Photo credit: steve75, Flickr
6) We are blessed with a profusion of festivals and holidays from a variety of creeds and races.
7) CNN ranked Kuala Lumpur the 4th best shopping city in the world. From night markets to luxury malls, we have it all!
8) Malaysia is home to the KL Tower and the Petronas Twin Towers. They are among the highest buildings in the world.
Photo credit: rifqy, Flickr
9) Our city harbours a multi-religious and multi-racial society, with the freedom to practice our chosen faith.
10) You can find slices of both the traditional…
Photo credit: Alexander Synaptic, Flickr
11) And the modern in Kuala Lumpur.
Photo credit: James Cheuk, Flickr
12) There are plenty of nightclubs, pubs, and rooftop bars throughout the cityscape.
Photo credit: Shayan (USA), Flickr
13) We have many seasons, with your pick of rain or shine.
14) Our local Nasi Lemak is second to none.
Photo credit: Lyrical Lemongrass, Flickr
15) We have business entrepreneur Tony Fernandes
Photo credit: The Guardian
16) KL’s banana leaf rice is a sinfully delectable meal, but will add inches to your waist if consumed regularly.
Photo credit: tisay, Flickr
17) Relax. Our quality taxis will ensure that you and all your belongings, as many as they might be, will end up at your destination…most of the time…
Photo credit: nihara23, Instagram
18) We have an airport with a walk-in, internal rainforest.
Photo credit: leozaza, Flickr
19) We have many excellent cinemas with different price ranges.
Photo credit: Priority Communications, Flickr
20) Our luxury cars are really affordable! Oh, and by affordable, we mean if you’re rich…note the price below.
Photo credit: m93, Flickr
21) We host a variety of international sporting events.
22) We brew our own Guinness…
Photo credit: Andrew Mason, Flickr
23) We use four languages to express ourselves.
Photo credit: Blank Canvas by Tom Mooring, Flickr, Words by Tien Chew
Homepage Highlight Photo Credit: Jimmy McIntyre, Flickr