Community

Langkawi Likely to Face Critical Water Problem by 2020

Photo credit: dmytrok / Foter / CC BY-ND

According to a report in Bernama, Langkawi will most likely face a critical water problem by the year 2020.

Due to an increase of development on the island, there is a rising demand for water supply which might resort in a critical water problem for the island by the year 2020.

Kedah’s water company, Syarikat Air Darul Aman (Sada) has proposed that more water should be channelled from Kedah’s mainland to the island. This should be done through the construction of a water treatment plant or by upgrading the existing plants. Currently, 65% of Langkawi’s water supply comes from the Sungai Baru water treatment plant, which is on the mainland. The water is channelled via a dedicated pipeline. The remaining 35% of water supply comes from the island itself.

According to Deputy Energy, Grenn Technology and Water Minister Datuk Seri Mahdzir Khalid, the island (Langkawi) needs more water from the mainland as the supply on the island is not enough.

“Sada’s agreement with Taliworks Sdn Bhd in Langkawi and Air Utara Indah Sdn Bhd, which treats water in Bukit Pinang, will end in October 2020. We have another five years to go.

“I was informed by Sada that Langkawi may face a critical water problem by 2020.

“More hotels, houses and business premises are coming up while Langkawi has inadequate water supply.”

Story and quote from: Bernama

Promoted

Read more:




" ExpatGo welcomes and encourages comments, input, and divergent opinions. However, we kindly request that you use suitable language in your comments, and refrain from any sort of personal attack, hate speech, or disparaging rhetoric. Comments not in line with this are subject to removal from the site. "


Comments

Click to comment

Most Popular

To Top