It is the time of the year when we retrospect on the year passed. 2013 was a rocking year for the movies and many highly anticipated, top budget Hollywood movies were released. When there are movie releases, how can piracy be far behind? Almost all top Hollywood movies get pirated and are downloaded millions of times, in the few weeks after their release.
2013’s most pirated Hollywood movie was The Hobbit 2: An Unexpected Journey. The movie was downloaded more than 8.4 million times. The second and third spots were taken by Quentin Tarantino’s story of a freed slave turned bounty hunter, Django Unchained and the Paul Walker-Vin Diesel starer Fast and Furious 6, which were downloaded 8.1 million and 7.9 million times, respectively. The estimates do not include online streaming or downloads from file hosting sites. Strangely, other top grossing movies like The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and Man of Steel do not feature on this list.
Here is a brief list of the top pirated movies in 2013.
- The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – 8,400,000 est. downloads
- Django Unchained – 8,100,000 est. downloads
- Fast and Furious 6 – 7,900,000 est. downloads
- Iron Man 3 – 7,600,000 est. downloads
- Silver Linings Playbook – 7,500,000 est. downloads
- Gangster Squad – 7,200,000 est. downloads
- Now You See Me – 7,000,000 est. downloads
- The Hangover Part 3 – 6,900,000 est. downloads
- World War Z – 6,700,000 est. downloads
Which movie above is your favorite?
SEE ALSO: Top Pirated TV Shows Online of 2013
"ExpatGo welcomes and encourages comments, input, and divergent opinions. However, we kindly request that you use suitable language in your comments, and refrain from any sort of personal attack, hate speech, or disparaging rhetoric. Comments not in line with this are subject to removal from the site. "