The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has been recognised as one of the top British schools in Malaysia by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which is monitored on behalf of the Department for Education (DfE).
It is the only school in Malaysia to receive an excellent grade in all areas of educational provision by a UK government approved inspectorate.
All British international schools that wish to be recognised by the UK’s department for education and obtain British Overseas School status must be inspected every three years by one of seven UK government approved inspectorates.
The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has recently been inspected by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which inspects many of the UK’s top independent schools.
Following its inspection by ISI in March, the British International School of Kuala Lumpur was graded ‘excellent’ in all areas of educational provision, a result that is comparable to that of top UK independent schools and is unprecedented here in Malaysia.
The school was visited by nine inspectors from overseas who spent a week conducting lesson observations, and interviews with parents, pupils, staff and governors. A total of 185 interviews and lesson observations were conducted. Inspectors also reviewed the school’s policies and processes to ensure they comply with UK standards of good practice.
In the final report, ISI provides an assessment of the school, specifically reporting on the following:
- Pupils’ achievements and their learning, attitudes and skills
- Curricular and extra-curricular provision
- Quality of teaching
- Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils
- Arrangements for welfare, health and safety
- Governance of the school
- Leadership and management of the school
- Links with parents, carers and guardians
The main findings from the report were that “the British International School of Kuala Lumpur meets its challenging aims in exemplary fashion.
“The pupils achieve excellent standards in their learning, stimulated by the high quality of teaching provided by a passionate and committed staff and a broad, innovative, literacy-led curriculum, which includes outstanding provision for music and physical education, and enables the creation of confident speakers.”
Other highlights of the report include:
- “The quality of the pupils’ achievements and of their learning, attitudes, and skills is excellent.”
- “The contribution of extra-curricular activities is outstanding. Pupils have many opportunities to take part in a wide range of activities that include team and individual sports, performance in music, drama and debate.”
- “The contribution of teaching is excellent. The relationship between the teachers and the children is exceptional, and the high quality of teaching ensures excellent learning so that the children are extremely well prepared for the next stage of their education.”
- “The spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils is excellent. The pupils show a strong ethical and moral awareness.”
- “Throughout the school, the quality of pastoral care is excellent. Relationships between staff and pupils and amongst the pupils themselves is excellent.”
- “The excellence of the pupil’s academic and personal development provides evidence of the governors’ outstanding strategic oversight.”
- “Leaders, at all levels, are committed to realising the school’s challenging aims to motivate pupils to achieve the extent of their intellectual and physical abilities, to provide a vibrant, happy and secure environment, and to uphold the values of honesty, integrity and respect.”
For more information, visit the British International School of Kuala Lumpur’s website.
"ExpatGo welcomes and encourages comments, input, and divergent opinions. However, we kindly request that you use suitable language in your comments, and refrain from any sort of personal attack, hate speech, or disparaging rhetoric. Comments not in line with this are subject to removal from the site. "
0Business and Finance
Ringgit Falls to 25-Year Low Against US Dollar
The Malaysian currency is the second-worst performing in Asia, and is at its lowest point since the Asian Financial Crisis. Is RM5...
Malaysia Announces Its 2024 Budget
A number of the line items in the lengthy budget are noteworthy, with a handful being of potential interest to expats, as...
Early Detection, Peace of Mind: Pink October Promotion at Sunway Medical Centre
It’s the best gift you can give yourself and your loved ones – peace of mind. In honour of Breast Cancer Awareness...
MYAirline’s ‘Temporary’ Suspension Quickly Starting to Look a Lot More Permanent
The airline is being asked to return its leased aircraft, and the interim CEO, who was named less than a week ago,...
MYAirline Stuns Passengers with Suspension of Operations
The low-cost airline announced it was temporarily suspending all operations effective today, October 12, 2023. It appears there was some hard truth...
Langkawi: An Island Retreat for Better Mental Health
This article contributed by Hery deHaan If you think you need a break, or could benefit from some mental decompression, Malaysia’s very...
Malaysia Again Deals with the Transboundary Haze Issue Plaguing Southeast Asia
Though not yet as severe as past haze events, the familiar cloak of haze has again settled over much of the Peninsula,...
From Munich to Malaysia: MGS Oktoberfest Penang Is Coming Soon!
The perennially popular celebration in Penang, organised and hosted by the Malaysian-German Society, is slated for late October this year – mark...
In Singapore, the Price of Owning a Car Starts at RM359K… Car Not Included
The super pricey city-state has made the prospect of owning a car far more expensive than it already was. Owning a car...
0Home & Living
Cultivating a Lush Patio Garden in Malaysia
Bring a little green into your life with these easy-to-grow plants, all of which deliver excellent culinary uses, too! In this tropical...