The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has been recognised as one of the top British schools in Malaysia by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which is monitored on behalf of the Department for Education (DfE).
It is the only school in Malaysia to receive an excellent grade in all areas of educational provision by a UK government approved inspectorate.
All British international schools that wish to be recognised by the UK’s department for education and obtain British Overseas School status must be inspected every three years by one of seven UK government approved inspectorates.
The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has recently been inspected by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which inspects many of the UK’s top independent schools.
Following its inspection by ISI in March, the British International School of Kuala Lumpur was graded ‘excellent’ in all areas of educational provision, a result that is comparable to that of top UK independent schools and is unprecedented here in Malaysia.
The school was visited by nine inspectors from overseas who spent a week conducting lesson observations, and interviews with parents, pupils, staff and governors. A total of 185 interviews and lesson observations were conducted. Inspectors also reviewed the school’s policies and processes to ensure they comply with UK standards of good practice.
In the final report, ISI provides an assessment of the school, specifically reporting on the following:
- Pupils’ achievements and their learning, attitudes and skills
- Curricular and extra-curricular provision
- Quality of teaching
- Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils
- Arrangements for welfare, health and safety
- Governance of the school
- Leadership and management of the school
- Links with parents, carers and guardians
The main findings from the report were that “the British International School of Kuala Lumpur meets its challenging aims in exemplary fashion.
“The pupils achieve excellent standards in their learning, stimulated by the high quality of teaching provided by a passionate and committed staff and a broad, innovative, literacy-led curriculum, which includes outstanding provision for music and physical education, and enables the creation of confident speakers.”
Other highlights of the report include:
- “The quality of the pupils’ achievements and of their learning, attitudes, and skills is excellent.”
- “The contribution of extra-curricular activities is outstanding. Pupils have many opportunities to take part in a wide range of activities that include team and individual sports, performance in music, drama and debate.”
- “The contribution of teaching is excellent. The relationship between the teachers and the children is exceptional, and the high quality of teaching ensures excellent learning so that the children are extremely well prepared for the next stage of their education.”
- “The spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils is excellent. The pupils show a strong ethical and moral awareness.”
- “Throughout the school, the quality of pastoral care is excellent. Relationships between staff and pupils and amongst the pupils themselves is excellent.”
- “The excellence of the pupil’s academic and personal development provides evidence of the governors’ outstanding strategic oversight.”
- “Leaders, at all levels, are committed to realising the school’s challenging aims to motivate pupils to achieve the extent of their intellectual and physical abilities, to provide a vibrant, happy and secure environment, and to uphold the values of honesty, integrity and respect.”
For more information, visit the British International School of Kuala Lumpur’s website.
"ExpatGo welcomes and encourages comments, input, and divergent opinions. However, we kindly request that you use suitable language in your comments, and refrain from any sort of personal attack, hate speech, or disparaging rhetoric. Comments not in line with this are subject to removal from the site. "
Melaka: History Revealed with Every Layer of Paint
Among Malaysia’s best-known travel destinations, the heritage port city of Melaka offers a fascinating history lesson for visitors who take a little...
0Travel News & Updates
Fake Indonesian eVisa Scams Plaguing Travellers
If you’re planning a trip to Bali or elsewhere in Indonesia and need a visa, be sure to only use the government’s...
Heineken Helps to Raise Awareness for the Need to Work Responsibly
According to the latest YouGov survey commissioned by HEINEKEN®, work has been cited as a key reason why employees ‘ghost’ their friends,...
Senior Soirée at Domitys Bangsar a Success
The contemporary senior living residence served up a good time at a recent event held jointly with TEG Media. Domitys and TEG...
Singapore Attracts Global Outrage Following Latest Execution
In a case whose evidence was described as “shockingly thin” and “circumstantial,” Singapore executed a 46-year-old citizen for apparently attempting to traffic...
Phnom Penh Pursuits
The Cambodian capital is a worthwhile travel destination, offering visitors far more history and modern interests than just the disturbing tales of...
In the Face of a Collapse in Applications, MM2H Criteria to Be Reviewed
Though no official statement appears to have been made, the signs – and some comments from government leaders – certainly point to...
It’s Time to Mask Up Once Again, Says Health Minister
Covid cases have indeed been on a slight rise recently, but this time, it’s actually the haze that’s driving the need for...
Bangsar’s History: The Expat Connection
Like parts of many cities and certainly parts of Kuala Lumpur, the urban enclave of Bangsar has its own fair share of...
With a 90% Drop in Applications, Calls Mount for Government to Bring Back the Old MM2H
To absolutely no one’s surprise, the strict new conditions introduced in 2021 for the Malaysia My Second Home programme have caused interest...
Yes, the auditorium is actively used for a lot of events. They also hooks their weekly assembly there 😮
Kua Theng Hong
holy shit their hall is so nice
Marcus Low Pui Li Wong
Wish i have a chance to contribute or work there. Such amazing facilities.
well done BISKL !
Nur Asikin Jaffar
Wow…oh my…the school complex…magnifico…
Nur Asikin Jaffar near to your place too. If you read on the curiculum it explains to you clearly on the system
Nur Asikin Jaffar ?. But in general the curiculum explained in details in BSKL website is what most IGCSE students in most international schools are going through. Except in taylors they don’t have the SAT year end exams.
read infos on the website already…gosh love it!!!!
Cc: Nurul Flower an option?
Dan prefer an American education system for the kids. ?
That theater is a dream.
Wish my school has it as well