The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has been recognised as one of the top British schools in Malaysia by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which is monitored on behalf of the Department for Education (DfE).
It is the only school in Malaysia to receive an excellent grade in all areas of educational provision by a UK government approved inspectorate.
All British international schools that wish to be recognised by the UK’s department for education and obtain British Overseas School status must be inspected every three years by one of seven UK government approved inspectorates.
The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has recently been inspected by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which inspects many of the UK’s top independent schools.
Following its inspection by ISI in March, the British International School of Kuala Lumpur was graded ‘excellent’ in all areas of educational provision, a result that is comparable to that of top UK independent schools and is unprecedented here in Malaysia.
The school was visited by nine inspectors from overseas who spent a week conducting lesson observations, and interviews with parents, pupils, staff and governors. A total of 185 interviews and lesson observations were conducted. Inspectors also reviewed the school’s policies and processes to ensure they comply with UK standards of good practice.
In the final report, ISI provides an assessment of the school, specifically reporting on the following:
- Pupils’ achievements and their learning, attitudes and skills
- Curricular and extra-curricular provision
- Quality of teaching
- Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils
- Arrangements for welfare, health and safety
- Governance of the school
- Leadership and management of the school
- Links with parents, carers and guardians
The main findings from the report were that “the British International School of Kuala Lumpur meets its challenging aims in exemplary fashion.
“The pupils achieve excellent standards in their learning, stimulated by the high quality of teaching provided by a passionate and committed staff and a broad, innovative, literacy-led curriculum, which includes outstanding provision for music and physical education, and enables the creation of confident speakers.”
Other highlights of the report include:
- “The quality of the pupils’ achievements and of their learning, attitudes, and skills is excellent.”
- “The contribution of extra-curricular activities is outstanding. Pupils have many opportunities to take part in a wide range of activities that include team and individual sports, performance in music, drama and debate.”
- “The contribution of teaching is excellent. The relationship between the teachers and the children is exceptional, and the high quality of teaching ensures excellent learning so that the children are extremely well prepared for the next stage of their education.”
- “The spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils is excellent. The pupils show a strong ethical and moral awareness.”
- “Throughout the school, the quality of pastoral care is excellent. Relationships between staff and pupils and amongst the pupils themselves is excellent.”
- “The excellence of the pupil’s academic and personal development provides evidence of the governors’ outstanding strategic oversight.”
- “Leaders, at all levels, are committed to realising the school’s challenging aims to motivate pupils to achieve the extent of their intellectual and physical abilities, to provide a vibrant, happy and secure environment, and to uphold the values of honesty, integrity and respect.”
For more information, visit the British International School of Kuala Lumpur’s website.
"ExpatGo welcomes and encourages comments, input, and divergent opinions. However, we kindly request that you use suitable language in your comments, and refrain from any sort of personal attack, hate speech, or disparaging rhetoric. Comments not in line with this are subject to removal from the site. "
Fraser’s Hill: A Birdwatcher’s Paradise
If you’re search of some of Malaysia’s winged wildlife, head for the hills where you can get a sneak preview of the...
The Art of Papua New Guinea
The Asmat people of Papua New Guinea (PNG) live in what might be described as the most hostile environment on Earth, with...
The Swatch Raids: Of Pride and Prejudice
At least from a business perspective, Malaysia is likely harming its global image by choosing to escalate its row with Swatch over...
Singapore’s Soaring Cost of Living Presents an Opportunity for Johor
The huge disparity in housing costs – along with the cost of everything else – between Singapore and Malaysia has opened up...
Koh Tao: From Prison to Paradise
While Thailand is already renowned for its tropical islands, fresh new holiday destinations seem to keep emerging there to keep tourists adding...
0Expats in Malaysia
Rainforest Ritz: Expat Living in Langkawi
In this ongoing series, we meet and get to know some of the expats who are living and working here in Malaysia....
Embrace lyf: Ascott’s Co-Living Brand Opens a New Raja Chulan Property!
With the resumption of travel now fully in swing, Ascott’s co-living lyf properties will offer experiential stays centered around the brand’s core...
0Business and Finance
BBC’s ‘Doomsday’ Article Underscores Malaysia’s Opportunity as Singapore Rents Skyrocket
Reports of expats fleeing Singapore are on the rise as rents soar by as much as 60%. As multinationals operating there consider...
Ascott’s Brands Growing Across Malaysia
A number of Singapore-headquartered Ascott’s lodging brands are seeing impressive growth in cities across Malaysia. You may have stayed at The Ascott...
0Food & Drink
White Asparagus Season Is Back!
Tender and delicate, white asparagus is a once-a-year delicacy that’s not to be missed. Here’s how to get yours, imported fresh from...
Yes, the auditorium is actively used for a lot of events. They also hooks their weekly assembly there 😮
Kua Theng Hong
holy shit their hall is so nice
Marcus Low Pui Li Wong
Wish i have a chance to contribute or work there. Such amazing facilities.
well done BISKL !
Nur Asikin Jaffar
Wow…oh my…the school complex…magnifico…
Nur Asikin Jaffar near to your place too. If you read on the curiculum it explains to you clearly on the system
Nur Asikin Jaffar ?. But in general the curiculum explained in details in BSKL website is what most IGCSE students in most international schools are going through. Except in taylors they don’t have the SAT year end exams.
read infos on the website already…gosh love it!!!!
Cc: Nurul Flower an option?
Dan prefer an American education system for the kids. ?
That theater is a dream.
Wish my school has it as well