The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has been recognised as one of the top British schools in Malaysia by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which is monitored on behalf of the Department for Education (DfE).
It is the only school in Malaysia to receive an excellent grade in all areas of educational provision by a UK government approved inspectorate.
All British international schools that wish to be recognised by the UK’s department for education and obtain British Overseas School status must be inspected every three years by one of seven UK government approved inspectorates.
The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has recently been inspected by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which inspects many of the UK’s top independent schools.
Following its inspection by ISI in March, the British International School of Kuala Lumpur was graded ‘excellent’ in all areas of educational provision, a result that is comparable to that of top UK independent schools and is unprecedented here in Malaysia.
The school was visited by nine inspectors from overseas who spent a week conducting lesson observations, and interviews with parents, pupils, staff and governors. A total of 185 interviews and lesson observations were conducted. Inspectors also reviewed the school’s policies and processes to ensure they comply with UK standards of good practice.
In the final report, ISI provides an assessment of the school, specifically reporting on the following:
- Pupils’ achievements and their learning, attitudes and skills
- Curricular and extra-curricular provision
- Quality of teaching
- Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils
- Arrangements for welfare, health and safety
- Governance of the school
- Leadership and management of the school
- Links with parents, carers and guardians
The main findings from the report were that “the British International School of Kuala Lumpur meets its challenging aims in exemplary fashion.
“The pupils achieve excellent standards in their learning, stimulated by the high quality of teaching provided by a passionate and committed staff and a broad, innovative, literacy-led curriculum, which includes outstanding provision for music and physical education, and enables the creation of confident speakers.”
Other highlights of the report include:
- “The quality of the pupils’ achievements and of their learning, attitudes, and skills is excellent.”
- “The contribution of extra-curricular activities is outstanding. Pupils have many opportunities to take part in a wide range of activities that include team and individual sports, performance in music, drama and debate.”
- “The contribution of teaching is excellent. The relationship between the teachers and the children is exceptional, and the high quality of teaching ensures excellent learning so that the children are extremely well prepared for the next stage of their education.”
- “The spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils is excellent. The pupils show a strong ethical and moral awareness.”
- “Throughout the school, the quality of pastoral care is excellent. Relationships between staff and pupils and amongst the pupils themselves is excellent.”
- “The excellence of the pupil’s academic and personal development provides evidence of the governors’ outstanding strategic oversight.”
- “Leaders, at all levels, are committed to realising the school’s challenging aims to motivate pupils to achieve the extent of their intellectual and physical abilities, to provide a vibrant, happy and secure environment, and to uphold the values of honesty, integrity and respect.”
For more information, visit the British International School of Kuala Lumpur’s website.
0Food & Drink
Go On The Ultimate Food Journey In Singapore
This article was written by expat contributor Jennifer Dawson. Going on a trip to Singapore is one of the best ways to satisfy...
Philippine Airlines Introduces Flights From Kota Kinabalu to Zamboanga
Fly non-stop from Kota Kinabalu to Zamboanga, three times weekly starting 31 March 2020 with fares as low as RM170*, for an...
0Culture & heritage
Behind the Animals of the Chinese Zodiac
Ever wonder why each Chinese New Year has a theme heavily centred around a particular animal? These animals represent the Chinese Zodiac...
Love & Laughter at Ramada Suites by Wyndham KLCC
Forget the traditional wine and dine with your beloved! This Valentine’s Day, fill the air with laughter and hilarity with the Love...
Enjoy a Taste of Tradition this Lunar New Year with Emirates
Travellers flying with Emirates between Malaysia and Dubai are in for a treat this Lunar New Year. Available for a limited time...
Different Destinations with Ethiopian Airlines
This post was written by expat contributor Jonathan Di Rollo. Even if your final destination is not in Africa, you can still...
Say Cheese! These Camera Apps Steal Personal Data
It’s probably no surprise that the #1 most posted ‘topic’ on Instagram is the selfie. So with millions of people snapping and...
0Design & Architecture
The World’s Tallest Skyscrapers 2020
What started as modern architectural marvels towards the end of the 19th century in the Western world, has continued to flourish well...
Hear it Live, Come Alive with Invito Hotel’s Live Music Special
That Friday and Saturday hangout you’ve been looking forward to just got so much better! Invito Hotel and Residence kickstarts the year...
Harvest and Holiness: Is There a Divide?
Just before the 15th of January, many Indian Tamil communities across Malaysia prepared to celebrate the festival of Pongal, one of the...