The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has been recognised as one of the top British schools in Malaysia by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which is monitored on behalf of the Department for Education (DfE).
It is the only school in Malaysia to receive an excellent grade in all areas of educational provision by a UK government approved inspectorate.
All British international schools that wish to be recognised by the UK’s department for education and obtain British Overseas School status must be inspected every three years by one of seven UK government approved inspectorates.
The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has recently been inspected by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which inspects many of the UK’s top independent schools.
Following its inspection by ISI in March, the British International School of Kuala Lumpur was graded ‘excellent’ in all areas of educational provision, a result that is comparable to that of top UK independent schools and is unprecedented here in Malaysia.
The school was visited by nine inspectors from overseas who spent a week conducting lesson observations, and interviews with parents, pupils, staff and governors. A total of 185 interviews and lesson observations were conducted. Inspectors also reviewed the school’s policies and processes to ensure they comply with UK standards of good practice.
In the final report, ISI provides an assessment of the school, specifically reporting on the following:
- Pupils’ achievements and their learning, attitudes and skills
- Curricular and extra-curricular provision
- Quality of teaching
- Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils
- Arrangements for welfare, health and safety
- Governance of the school
- Leadership and management of the school
- Links with parents, carers and guardians
The main findings from the report were that “the British International School of Kuala Lumpur meets its challenging aims in exemplary fashion.
“The pupils achieve excellent standards in their learning, stimulated by the high quality of teaching provided by a passionate and committed staff and a broad, innovative, literacy-led curriculum, which includes outstanding provision for music and physical education, and enables the creation of confident speakers.”
Other highlights of the report include:
- “The quality of the pupils’ achievements and of their learning, attitudes, and skills is excellent.”
- “The contribution of extra-curricular activities is outstanding. Pupils have many opportunities to take part in a wide range of activities that include team and individual sports, performance in music, drama and debate.”
- “The contribution of teaching is excellent. The relationship between the teachers and the children is exceptional, and the high quality of teaching ensures excellent learning so that the children are extremely well prepared for the next stage of their education.”
- “The spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils is excellent. The pupils show a strong ethical and moral awareness.”
- “Throughout the school, the quality of pastoral care is excellent. Relationships between staff and pupils and amongst the pupils themselves is excellent.”
- “The excellence of the pupil’s academic and personal development provides evidence of the governors’ outstanding strategic oversight.”
- “Leaders, at all levels, are committed to realising the school’s challenging aims to motivate pupils to achieve the extent of their intellectual and physical abilities, to provide a vibrant, happy and secure environment, and to uphold the values of honesty, integrity and respect.”
For more information, visit the British International School of Kuala Lumpur’s website.
Suriana Welfare Society: Protecting Children in Crisis
Suriana Welfare Society is a registered Non-Governmental organisation that was built in 2012 with the aim of creating a safe and legal...
Fly to the Beautiful Island of Belitung from Kuala Lumpur
This island paradise off the eastern coast of Sumatra, Indonesia may just be the best holiday destination you have not heard of!...
Alarming News for Drivers: Motorbike E-Hailing Approved
The Malaysian government has approved a proposal to introduce motorbike e-hailing services in Malaysia. Last year, a minister indicated they would not...
Effortless Beauty Right At Your Doorstep
Unlike most beauty parlors that require you to set aside at least a full day for even the most basic of touch-ups...
Sirocco Hospitality and Air Asia Team Up for #VM2020
Earlier this month, Sirocco Hospitality Group officiated a partnership to provide Air Asia BIG Members with exciting offers and discounts. As one...
The Annual Georgetown Literary Festival
Book and art lovers will definitely perk up when the Georgetown Literary Festival is mentioned! Held annually on the beautiful island of...
Malaysia’s ‘Most Excellent Hairstylist’ Wants to Treat Your Hair
Hair Emporium has been in operation for the last five years, having opened their first branch near The Curve in Mutiara Damansara....
Art with Purpose
As European art influences grow steadily Kuala Lumpur, Priscilla Emmanuel speaks with German-born Dr. Ralph Klemp whose personal art education is entrenched...
10 Airports Around the World Perfect for Business Travellers
Where travelling as a businessperson is concerned, there are certain savvy practices involved especially when it comes to journeying by air. Non-stop...
A Clash of Giants
As the world watches with apprehension, unpacking the complexities surrounding U.S. and China trade war add a quantifiable element of unease as...