The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has been recognised as one of the top British schools in Malaysia by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which is monitored on behalf of the Department for Education (DfE).
It is the only school in Malaysia to receive an excellent grade in all areas of educational provision by a UK government approved inspectorate.
All British international schools that wish to be recognised by the UK’s department for education and obtain British Overseas School status must be inspected every three years by one of seven UK government approved inspectorates.
The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has recently been inspected by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which inspects many of the UK’s top independent schools.
Following its inspection by ISI in March, the British International School of Kuala Lumpur was graded ‘excellent’ in all areas of educational provision, a result that is comparable to that of top UK independent schools and is unprecedented here in Malaysia.
The school was visited by nine inspectors from overseas who spent a week conducting lesson observations, and interviews with parents, pupils, staff and governors. A total of 185 interviews and lesson observations were conducted. Inspectors also reviewed the school’s policies and processes to ensure they comply with UK standards of good practice.
In the final report, ISI provides an assessment of the school, specifically reporting on the following:
- Pupils’ achievements and their learning, attitudes and skills
- Curricular and extra-curricular provision
- Quality of teaching
- Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils
- Arrangements for welfare, health and safety
- Governance of the school
- Leadership and management of the school
- Links with parents, carers and guardians
The main findings from the report were that “the British International School of Kuala Lumpur meets its challenging aims in exemplary fashion.
“The pupils achieve excellent standards in their learning, stimulated by the high quality of teaching provided by a passionate and committed staff and a broad, innovative, literacy-led curriculum, which includes outstanding provision for music and physical education, and enables the creation of confident speakers.”
Other highlights of the report include:
- “The quality of the pupils’ achievements and of their learning, attitudes, and skills is excellent.”
- “The contribution of extra-curricular activities is outstanding. Pupils have many opportunities to take part in a wide range of activities that include team and individual sports, performance in music, drama and debate.”
- “The contribution of teaching is excellent. The relationship between the teachers and the children is exceptional, and the high quality of teaching ensures excellent learning so that the children are extremely well prepared for the next stage of their education.”
- “The spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils is excellent. The pupils show a strong ethical and moral awareness.”
- “Throughout the school, the quality of pastoral care is excellent. Relationships between staff and pupils and amongst the pupils themselves is excellent.”
- “The excellence of the pupil’s academic and personal development provides evidence of the governors’ outstanding strategic oversight.”
- “Leaders, at all levels, are committed to realising the school’s challenging aims to motivate pupils to achieve the extent of their intellectual and physical abilities, to provide a vibrant, happy and secure environment, and to uphold the values of honesty, integrity and respect.”
For more information, visit the British International School of Kuala Lumpur’s website.
"ExpatGo welcomes and encourages comments, input, and divergent opinions. However, we kindly request that you use suitable language in your comments, and refrain from any sort of personal attack, hate speech, or disparaging rhetoric. Comments not in line with this are subject to removal from the site. "
Luxurious Products and Services in Malaysia
By land, sea and air, we take you on a magnificent tour, a "Lap of Luxury", enjoying some of the finest products...
Shopping in Malaysia: Spending through the Ages
It's a national past-time and an asset that brings tourists from near and far, but few bargain-hunters realise that shopping offers an...
Rainforest Canopy Adventure
As a writer, I have always wanted a world scoop, so this is it, exclusively for Expat. Terms like air trekking, aerial...
Pursuing the Peranakans
STRAITS Chinese, Straits-born Chinese, Baba Chinese or simply Baba, and Peranakan are terms which have been used interchangeably. The Straits Settlements, comprising...
Malacca, On the Campaign Trail
Let's get this straight. That Malacca has evolved, as one of Malaysia's leading cultural and heritage sites was not planned. The Sultanate...
Prince Hotel & Residence KL
Strategically located in the heart of KL, Prince Hotel & Residence provides ideal long stay accommodations.
The Stories of Legendary Langkawi
For decades, Langkawi has been well endowed with popular tales and stories, probably more so than any other islands in this part...
The Petronas Twin Towers, A Towering Success
With the first occupants moving into the Petronas Twin Towers ten years ago, we thought that now would make an opportune moment...
Exotic Animal Tour
I turned up at the Langkawi Snake Sanctuary just in time to learn that I had missed the show, but not too...
Apes with a Special Appeal
We can all name animals that need more help from humans, but it takes a special person like Sue Sheward to turn...