The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has been recognised as one of the top British schools in Malaysia by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which is monitored on behalf of the Department for Education (DfE).
It is the only school in Malaysia to receive an excellent grade in all areas of educational provision by a UK government approved inspectorate.
All British international schools that wish to be recognised by the UK’s department for education and obtain British Overseas School status must be inspected every three years by one of seven UK government approved inspectorates.
The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has recently been inspected by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which inspects many of the UK’s top independent schools.
Following its inspection by ISI in March, the British International School of Kuala Lumpur was graded ‘excellent’ in all areas of educational provision, a result that is comparable to that of top UK independent schools and is unprecedented here in Malaysia.
The school was visited by nine inspectors from overseas who spent a week conducting lesson observations, and interviews with parents, pupils, staff and governors. A total of 185 interviews and lesson observations were conducted. Inspectors also reviewed the school’s policies and processes to ensure they comply with UK standards of good practice.
In the final report, ISI provides an assessment of the school, specifically reporting on the following:
- Pupils’ achievements and their learning, attitudes and skills
- Curricular and extra-curricular provision
- Quality of teaching
- Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils
- Arrangements for welfare, health and safety
- Governance of the school
- Leadership and management of the school
- Links with parents, carers and guardians
The main findings from the report were that “the British International School of Kuala Lumpur meets its challenging aims in exemplary fashion.
“The pupils achieve excellent standards in their learning, stimulated by the high quality of teaching provided by a passionate and committed staff and a broad, innovative, literacy-led curriculum, which includes outstanding provision for music and physical education, and enables the creation of confident speakers.”
Other highlights of the report include:
- “The quality of the pupils’ achievements and of their learning, attitudes, and skills is excellent.”
- “The contribution of extra-curricular activities is outstanding. Pupils have many opportunities to take part in a wide range of activities that include team and individual sports, performance in music, drama and debate.”
- “The contribution of teaching is excellent. The relationship between the teachers and the children is exceptional, and the high quality of teaching ensures excellent learning so that the children are extremely well prepared for the next stage of their education.”
- “The spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils is excellent. The pupils show a strong ethical and moral awareness.”
- “Throughout the school, the quality of pastoral care is excellent. Relationships between staff and pupils and amongst the pupils themselves is excellent.”
- “The excellence of the pupil’s academic and personal development provides evidence of the governors’ outstanding strategic oversight.”
- “Leaders, at all levels, are committed to realising the school’s challenging aims to motivate pupils to achieve the extent of their intellectual and physical abilities, to provide a vibrant, happy and secure environment, and to uphold the values of honesty, integrity and respect.”
For more information, visit the British International School of Kuala Lumpur’s website.
"ExpatGo welcomes and encourages comments, input, and divergent opinions. However, we kindly request that you use suitable language in your comments, and refrain from any sort of personal attack, hate speech, or disparaging rhetoric. Comments not in line with this are subject to removal from the site. "
Turkish Airlines Increases Weekly Flights to KLIA
The Istanbul-based airline’s enormous network will deliver more international tourists to Kuala Lumpur, according to Tourism Malaysia. Turkish Airlines has announced three...
Horror: Tragedy in Indonesia as Scores Killed in Football Stadium Crush
At least 125 are dead and hundreds more injured following a football match in Malang, East Java Editor’s note: Some of the...
Malaysia’s Newest Airline Set to Take Flight Soon
The latest addition to Malaysia’s commercial aviation scene is one step closer to take-off. Malaysia sure likes pursuing transport-related businesses. Even though...
0Nature & Environment
The Habitat: Discover Forest Bathing in an Aboriginal Rainforest
With accessibility to a 130-million-year old rainforest only a train ride away, the unique experience of forest bathing closes the gap between...
We Want You at Sri KDU International School: OPEN WEEK (17 Oct – 21 Oct)
Choosing a school is such an important decision. The balance between academic and co-curriculum programmes is instrumental to ensuring that students have...
Meee-yow!! There’s a Huge Cat Expo in KL This Weekend
If you’re a feline aficionado – or just want to witness the sheer spectacle of Malaysia’s biggest cat-centric event – the MATRADE...
Shopping Roundup For Fall 2022
Check out this short curated list of goodies from the world of fashion, beauty, lifestyle, and more – great for gift-giving or...
Hashima: Japan’s Forsaken Ghost Island
Abandoned nearly 50 years ago, Hashima Island is today easily one of Asia’s creepiest sites – but that didn’t stop Japan from...
Unwind in the Cool Air of Genting Highlands at Chalet Edelweiss!
This October, unwind and enjoy the cool breezes and mountain views of the Highlands with Edelweiss wheat beer at this fantastic new...
13 Common Houseplants That Are Toxic to Pets
Plants can help detoxify indoor air, but if you have four-legged family members, you might want to avoid these particular houseplants. Although...