The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has been recognised as one of the top British schools in Malaysia by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which is monitored on behalf of the Department for Education (DfE).
It is the only school in Malaysia to receive an excellent grade in all areas of educational provision by a UK government approved inspectorate.
All British international schools that wish to be recognised by the UK’s department for education and obtain British Overseas School status must be inspected every three years by one of seven UK government approved inspectorates.
The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has recently been inspected by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which inspects many of the UK’s top independent schools.
Following its inspection by ISI in March, the British International School of Kuala Lumpur was graded ‘excellent’ in all areas of educational provision, a result that is comparable to that of top UK independent schools and is unprecedented here in Malaysia.
The school was visited by nine inspectors from overseas who spent a week conducting lesson observations, and interviews with parents, pupils, staff and governors. A total of 185 interviews and lesson observations were conducted. Inspectors also reviewed the school’s policies and processes to ensure they comply with UK standards of good practice.
In the final report, ISI provides an assessment of the school, specifically reporting on the following:
- Pupils’ achievements and their learning, attitudes and skills
- Curricular and extra-curricular provision
- Quality of teaching
- Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils
- Arrangements for welfare, health and safety
- Governance of the school
- Leadership and management of the school
- Links with parents, carers and guardians
The main findings from the report were that “the British International School of Kuala Lumpur meets its challenging aims in exemplary fashion.
“The pupils achieve excellent standards in their learning, stimulated by the high quality of teaching provided by a passionate and committed staff and a broad, innovative, literacy-led curriculum, which includes outstanding provision for music and physical education, and enables the creation of confident speakers.”
Other highlights of the report include:
- “The quality of the pupils’ achievements and of their learning, attitudes, and skills is excellent.”
- “The contribution of extra-curricular activities is outstanding. Pupils have many opportunities to take part in a wide range of activities that include team and individual sports, performance in music, drama and debate.”
- “The contribution of teaching is excellent. The relationship between the teachers and the children is exceptional, and the high quality of teaching ensures excellent learning so that the children are extremely well prepared for the next stage of their education.”
- “The spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils is excellent. The pupils show a strong ethical and moral awareness.”
- “Throughout the school, the quality of pastoral care is excellent. Relationships between staff and pupils and amongst the pupils themselves is excellent.”
- “The excellence of the pupil’s academic and personal development provides evidence of the governors’ outstanding strategic oversight.”
- “Leaders, at all levels, are committed to realising the school’s challenging aims to motivate pupils to achieve the extent of their intellectual and physical abilities, to provide a vibrant, happy and secure environment, and to uphold the values of honesty, integrity and respect.”
For more information, visit the British International School of Kuala Lumpur’s website.
Stressed Over Moving Abroad? Let the Professionals Handle Everything
This post is brought to you in part by Crown Relocations. With over 50 years of highly-rated experience of moving individuals, families,...
The Annual Georgetown Literary Festival
Book and art lovers will definitely perk up when the Georgetown Literary Festival is mentioned! Held annually on the beautiful island of...
Malaysia’s ‘Most Excellent Hairstylist’ Wants to Treat Your Hair
Hair Emporium has been in operation for the last five years, having opened their first branch near The Curve in Mutiara Damansara....
Art with Purpose
As European art influences grow steadily Kuala Lumpur, Priscilla Emmanuel speaks with German-born Dr. Ralph Klemp whose personal art education is entrenched...
10 Airports Around the World Perfect for Business Travellers
Where travelling as a businessperson is concerned, there are certain savvy practices involved especially when it comes to journeying by air. Non-stop...
A Clash of Giants
As the world watches with apprehension, unpacking the complexities surrounding U.S. and China trade war add a quantifiable element of unease as...
New Exit Tax in Malaysia Met With Complaints – and a Lawsuit
It’s a different government, but when it comes to tourist- and travel-related matters, decisions being made seem just as self-defeating as those...
ERL Celebrates its 100 Millionth Passenger
Express Railway Link (ERL) achieved another milestone with a surprise celebration honouring their 100 millionth passenger. ERL has been operating since 2002...
Art in the City Gets Infused with Pop Culture, Identity, and Technology
The stunning visuals and artworks presented at SH/FT exhibition under CENDANA’s Art in the City program is a major effort to attract...
Turkish Airlines Increases Flights from Istanbul to Kuala Lumpur
There seems to be plenty of things to look out for coming year 2020, especially for travelers and vacationers. One of them...