The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has been recognised as one of the top British schools in Malaysia by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which is monitored on behalf of the Department for Education (DfE).
It is the only school in Malaysia to receive an excellent grade in all areas of educational provision by a UK government approved inspectorate.
All British international schools that wish to be recognised by the UK’s department for education and obtain British Overseas School status must be inspected every three years by one of seven UK government approved inspectorates.
The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has recently been inspected by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which inspects many of the UK’s top independent schools.
Following its inspection by ISI in March, the British International School of Kuala Lumpur was graded ‘excellent’ in all areas of educational provision, a result that is comparable to that of top UK independent schools and is unprecedented here in Malaysia.
The school was visited by nine inspectors from overseas who spent a week conducting lesson observations, and interviews with parents, pupils, staff and governors. A total of 185 interviews and lesson observations were conducted. Inspectors also reviewed the school’s policies and processes to ensure they comply with UK standards of good practice.
In the final report, ISI provides an assessment of the school, specifically reporting on the following:
- Pupils’ achievements and their learning, attitudes and skills
- Curricular and extra-curricular provision
- Quality of teaching
- Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils
- Arrangements for welfare, health and safety
- Governance of the school
- Leadership and management of the school
- Links with parents, carers and guardians
The main findings from the report were that “the British International School of Kuala Lumpur meets its challenging aims in exemplary fashion.
“The pupils achieve excellent standards in their learning, stimulated by the high quality of teaching provided by a passionate and committed staff and a broad, innovative, literacy-led curriculum, which includes outstanding provision for music and physical education, and enables the creation of confident speakers.”
Other highlights of the report include:
- “The quality of the pupils’ achievements and of their learning, attitudes, and skills is excellent.”
- “The contribution of extra-curricular activities is outstanding. Pupils have many opportunities to take part in a wide range of activities that include team and individual sports, performance in music, drama and debate.”
- “The contribution of teaching is excellent. The relationship between the teachers and the children is exceptional, and the high quality of teaching ensures excellent learning so that the children are extremely well prepared for the next stage of their education.”
- “The spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils is excellent. The pupils show a strong ethical and moral awareness.”
- “Throughout the school, the quality of pastoral care is excellent. Relationships between staff and pupils and amongst the pupils themselves is excellent.”
- “The excellence of the pupil’s academic and personal development provides evidence of the governors’ outstanding strategic oversight.”
- “Leaders, at all levels, are committed to realising the school’s challenging aims to motivate pupils to achieve the extent of their intellectual and physical abilities, to provide a vibrant, happy and secure environment, and to uphold the values of honesty, integrity and respect.”
For more information, visit the British International School of Kuala Lumpur’s website.
" ExpatGo welcomes and encourages comments, input, and divergent opinions. However, we kindly request that you use suitable language in your comments, and refrain from any sort of personal attack, hate speech, or disparaging rhetoric. Comments not in line with this are subject to removal from the site. "
It’s Official: The MM2H Programme Has Been Suspended
Recent articles in the New Straits Times and other local media indicate the “temporary suspension” of the Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H)...
Study: Three Simple Acts Can Beat Covid-19
Even without a vaccine, if enough people just do three simple things, all of Malaysia’s excellent efforts so far in fighting the...
Government: No More Home Quarantine Allowed; Cops Now Taking Harsher Action Against Those Who Defy RMCO
Ismail Sabri has announced there will be no more second chances or warnings given; violators will now face compounds or jail. As...
Don’t Get Complacent, Prime Minister Warns
(Updated July 20) A misguided belief that the pandemic is over has led to disastrous results in numerous countries. Malaysia’s Prime Minister...
Written Guidelines Issued for Expats to Return to Malaysia
Updated Thursday, June 25, 11:30am. Following the announcement that Malaysian Immigration is beginning to relax the rules for some categories of work...
Cuti-Cuti Malaysia: An Island Sanctuary Just Off Kota Kinabalu
Lying just off the coastline of Sabah’s Kota Kinabalu is a small gem of a marine park offering recreation to the human...
US: 230K Deaths Projected by November; Malaysia’s Covid-19 Management Holding Steady
Updated August 3 A number of countries around the world which have had relative success battling the coronavirus pandemic are facing new...
Limited Crossing Agreement with Singapore Suggests Borders Won’t Fully Open Anytime Soon
The recent announcement that some limited travel will be permitted across the Causeway to and from Singapore was welcomed, but it is...
Cuti-Cuti Malaysia: Rediscovering Historic George Town
While I usually carry a map on my travels (hardcopy, not on a hand-held device), I prefer to just wander around some...
A Reminder: Leaving Malaysia for a Holiday is NOT Permitted
All residents of Malaysia, including expats, are restricted from taking international vacations at this time. At a regularly scheduled media briefing on...
Congratulations Class of 2020 Uplands IB Diploma Students!
Uplands students once again exceed global averages at IBDP The International School of Penang (Uplands) students have, once again, exceeded global averages...
Banyan Tree Kuala Lumpur Extends Its ‘Welcome Back’ Offers!
Welcome back to Banyan Tree Kuala Lumpur! The luxury resort hotel in the heart of KL is currently offering outstanding deals on...