The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has been recognised as one of the top British schools in Malaysia by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which is monitored on behalf of the Department for Education (DfE).
It is the only school in Malaysia to receive an excellent grade in all areas of educational provision by a UK government approved inspectorate.
All British international schools that wish to be recognised by the UK’s department for education and obtain British Overseas School status must be inspected every three years by one of seven UK government approved inspectorates.
The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has recently been inspected by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which inspects many of the UK’s top independent schools.
Following its inspection by ISI in March, the British International School of Kuala Lumpur was graded ‘excellent’ in all areas of educational provision, a result that is comparable to that of top UK independent schools and is unprecedented here in Malaysia.
The school was visited by nine inspectors from overseas who spent a week conducting lesson observations, and interviews with parents, pupils, staff and governors. A total of 185 interviews and lesson observations were conducted. Inspectors also reviewed the school’s policies and processes to ensure they comply with UK standards of good practice.
In the final report, ISI provides an assessment of the school, specifically reporting on the following:
- Pupils’ achievements and their learning, attitudes and skills
- Curricular and extra-curricular provision
- Quality of teaching
- Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils
- Arrangements for welfare, health and safety
- Governance of the school
- Leadership and management of the school
- Links with parents, carers and guardians
The main findings from the report were that “the British International School of Kuala Lumpur meets its challenging aims in exemplary fashion.
“The pupils achieve excellent standards in their learning, stimulated by the high quality of teaching provided by a passionate and committed staff and a broad, innovative, literacy-led curriculum, which includes outstanding provision for music and physical education, and enables the creation of confident speakers.”
Other highlights of the report include:
- “The quality of the pupils’ achievements and of their learning, attitudes, and skills is excellent.”
- “The contribution of extra-curricular activities is outstanding. Pupils have many opportunities to take part in a wide range of activities that include team and individual sports, performance in music, drama and debate.”
- “The contribution of teaching is excellent. The relationship between the teachers and the children is exceptional, and the high quality of teaching ensures excellent learning so that the children are extremely well prepared for the next stage of their education.”
- “The spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils is excellent. The pupils show a strong ethical and moral awareness.”
- “Throughout the school, the quality of pastoral care is excellent. Relationships between staff and pupils and amongst the pupils themselves is excellent.”
- “The excellence of the pupil’s academic and personal development provides evidence of the governors’ outstanding strategic oversight.”
- “Leaders, at all levels, are committed to realising the school’s challenging aims to motivate pupils to achieve the extent of their intellectual and physical abilities, to provide a vibrant, happy and secure environment, and to uphold the values of honesty, integrity and respect.”
For more information, visit the British International School of Kuala Lumpur’s website.
"ExpatGo welcomes and encourages comments, input, and divergent opinions. However, we kindly request that you use suitable language in your comments, and refrain from any sort of personal attack, hate speech, or disparaging rhetoric. Comments not in line with this are subject to removal from the site. "
Mark Your Calendars! Family BBQ at Sausage KL
Sausage KL and TEG Media (The Expat) bring you a terrific Weekend Family BBQ at a seriously amazing value! All are welcome!...
World’s Largest Caught Freshwater Fish is as Big as a Car!
Weighing at a whopping 300 kg, the mammoth stingray found along the Mekong River was almost 4 metres long, and is believed...
On the Road: Touring Malaysia’s North
When looking at a map of Peninsular Malaysia, you’ll see that Greater KL lies near the west coast, roughly midway between north...
0Food & Drink
Celebrating The King of Rock & Roll at The Cove
Be bold. Be daring. Be in the spotlight. The King is here. Are you ready? In conjunction with the release of Baz...
Why Do Cats Knead? Explaining Common Feline Behaviour
Whether you’re a new cat owner or curious about something your feline friend has been doing for years, here’s the psychology behind...
What to Expect from This Year’s George Town Festival
This annual festival was first launched in 2010 in honour of the town’s designation as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. As the...
0Nature & Environment
Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre
Endemic to the Bornean rainforest for thousands of years, Southeast Asia’s great apes come in the form of gentle long-armed primates that...
Star Quality: Heineken Malaysia Crowns Its Champion Bartender of 2022
Returning after two years, the Heineken Star Academy announced seven finalists from various bars across the nation all competing for the coveted...
Stressbuster Activity: Four Karaoke Spots to Unleash Your Inner Pop Star
Karaoke spots in KL are such a lively and fun experience with loved ones and friends because we get to let our...
Singapore’s Current Dengue Outbreak Foretells an Ominous Climate Change Reality
Add another side effect of climate change to the list of unwelcome things that we can look forward to as the planet...