The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has been recognised as one of the top British schools in Malaysia by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which is monitored on behalf of the Department for Education (DfE).
It is the only school in Malaysia to receive an excellent grade in all areas of educational provision by a UK government approved inspectorate.
All British international schools that wish to be recognised by the UK’s department for education and obtain British Overseas School status must be inspected every three years by one of seven UK government approved inspectorates.
The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has recently been inspected by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which inspects many of the UK’s top independent schools.
Following its inspection by ISI in March, the British International School of Kuala Lumpur was graded ‘excellent’ in all areas of educational provision, a result that is comparable to that of top UK independent schools and is unprecedented here in Malaysia.
The school was visited by nine inspectors from overseas who spent a week conducting lesson observations, and interviews with parents, pupils, staff and governors. A total of 185 interviews and lesson observations were conducted. Inspectors also reviewed the school’s policies and processes to ensure they comply with UK standards of good practice.
In the final report, ISI provides an assessment of the school, specifically reporting on the following:
- Pupils’ achievements and their learning, attitudes and skills
- Curricular and extra-curricular provision
- Quality of teaching
- Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils
- Arrangements for welfare, health and safety
- Governance of the school
- Leadership and management of the school
- Links with parents, carers and guardians
The main findings from the report were that “the British International School of Kuala Lumpur meets its challenging aims in exemplary fashion.
“The pupils achieve excellent standards in their learning, stimulated by the high quality of teaching provided by a passionate and committed staff and a broad, innovative, literacy-led curriculum, which includes outstanding provision for music and physical education, and enables the creation of confident speakers.”
Other highlights of the report include:
- “The quality of the pupils’ achievements and of their learning, attitudes, and skills is excellent.”
- “The contribution of extra-curricular activities is outstanding. Pupils have many opportunities to take part in a wide range of activities that include team and individual sports, performance in music, drama and debate.”
- “The contribution of teaching is excellent. The relationship between the teachers and the children is exceptional, and the high quality of teaching ensures excellent learning so that the children are extremely well prepared for the next stage of their education.”
- “The spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils is excellent. The pupils show a strong ethical and moral awareness.”
- “Throughout the school, the quality of pastoral care is excellent. Relationships between staff and pupils and amongst the pupils themselves is excellent.”
- “The excellence of the pupil’s academic and personal development provides evidence of the governors’ outstanding strategic oversight.”
- “Leaders, at all levels, are committed to realising the school’s challenging aims to motivate pupils to achieve the extent of their intellectual and physical abilities, to provide a vibrant, happy and secure environment, and to uphold the values of honesty, integrity and respect.”
For more information, visit the British International School of Kuala Lumpur’s website.
Jolly Holly Jumpstart 2020 with Philippine Airlines
Tis’ the season for your 2020 holiday-making! Philippine Airlines is offering these sweet flight deals to ensure that your year ahead is...
Emirates Will Serve Half a Million Christmas Meals this December
This post is brought to you by Business Traveller Asia-Pacific. Emirates reports that they will have served approximately 500,000 Christmas themed meals...
Saigon To Hanoi: A Wealth Of Adventures For Motorcyclists
This article was written by expat contributor Jennifer Dawson. Motorbiking is considered the most popular means of transportation in Vietnam, and the...
Royal Jordanian Airlines’ 56th Anniversary Flight Celebration
To celebrate a whopping 56 years of being in the aviation industry, the Royal Jordanian Airlines is here for a very special...
December Events 2019: Jazz, Dinner, and Markets
The final month of 2019 will be a great one as these events will cover your entry into 2020 with all kinds...
0Home & Living
Vietnam Welcomes Oakwood Residence Hanoi
Launched on the 10th of October, Oakwood, owned by Mapletree Investments, announced their entry into Vietnam’s capital with Oakwood Residence Hanoi. Located...
Phu Quoc, Vietnam’s Idyllic Island for Wellness and Slow Travel
As our world grows smaller, our expectation for travel grows larger. Gone are the days where travellers visit a different city or...
Art Exhibitions in KL: December 2019
December’s exhibitions brings a time to reflect and celebrate, perfect for the final hurrah of the last teen year of the 2000s....
New Movie Releases in Malaysia: December 2019
We apologise for missing out on November’s releases, but here are some December movies for you to end the decade with a...
0Food & Drink
How to Seek and Find the Best Wine in Malaysia
This article was written by expat contributor Jennifer Dawson. Malaysia isn’t a big wine-drinking country – only 2% of the population regularly enjoy...