The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has been recognised as one of the top British schools in Malaysia by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which is monitored on behalf of the Department for Education (DfE).
It is the only school in Malaysia to receive an excellent grade in all areas of educational provision by a UK government approved inspectorate.
All British international schools that wish to be recognised by the UK’s department for education and obtain British Overseas School status must be inspected every three years by one of seven UK government approved inspectorates.
The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has recently been inspected by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which inspects many of the UK’s top independent schools.
Following its inspection by ISI in March, the British International School of Kuala Lumpur was graded ‘excellent’ in all areas of educational provision, a result that is comparable to that of top UK independent schools and is unprecedented here in Malaysia.
The school was visited by nine inspectors from overseas who spent a week conducting lesson observations, and interviews with parents, pupils, staff and governors. A total of 185 interviews and lesson observations were conducted. Inspectors also reviewed the school’s policies and processes to ensure they comply with UK standards of good practice.
In the final report, ISI provides an assessment of the school, specifically reporting on the following:
- Pupils’ achievements and their learning, attitudes and skills
- Curricular and extra-curricular provision
- Quality of teaching
- Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils
- Arrangements for welfare, health and safety
- Governance of the school
- Leadership and management of the school
- Links with parents, carers and guardians
The main findings from the report were that “the British International School of Kuala Lumpur meets its challenging aims in exemplary fashion.
“The pupils achieve excellent standards in their learning, stimulated by the high quality of teaching provided by a passionate and committed staff and a broad, innovative, literacy-led curriculum, which includes outstanding provision for music and physical education, and enables the creation of confident speakers.”
Other highlights of the report include:
- “The quality of the pupils’ achievements and of their learning, attitudes, and skills is excellent.”
- “The contribution of extra-curricular activities is outstanding. Pupils have many opportunities to take part in a wide range of activities that include team and individual sports, performance in music, drama and debate.”
- “The contribution of teaching is excellent. The relationship between the teachers and the children is exceptional, and the high quality of teaching ensures excellent learning so that the children are extremely well prepared for the next stage of their education.”
- “The spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils is excellent. The pupils show a strong ethical and moral awareness.”
- “Throughout the school, the quality of pastoral care is excellent. Relationships between staff and pupils and amongst the pupils themselves is excellent.”
- “The excellence of the pupil’s academic and personal development provides evidence of the governors’ outstanding strategic oversight.”
- “Leaders, at all levels, are committed to realising the school’s challenging aims to motivate pupils to achieve the extent of their intellectual and physical abilities, to provide a vibrant, happy and secure environment, and to uphold the values of honesty, integrity and respect.”
For more information, visit the British International School of Kuala Lumpur’s website.
Art Exhibitions in KL: December 2018
Round up the year by discovering fresh creativity and new talent at these art exhibitions in KL happening this December 2018.
Four Simple Strategies to Support Your Child’s Reading Development
Literacy is always a hot topic among parents. Parents feel like they need to be doing more, but are not always sure...
Has Education Changed Much in The Last 25 Years?
The initial response to this question for most people would be that it has changed a lot. However, probe beneath the veneer...
1.3KFood & Drink
Where to Shop For Organic Produce and Products in KL and Selangor
Places in KL and Selangor that sell organic pet deodorisers, natural vegewash, eco-friendly cloth diapers, and even a pre-order service for organic...
Cargo Cruising: Travelling Aboard A Cargo Ship
Achim Lauermann shares his exciting and unique experience travelling via cargo ship aboard a CMA CGM ship.
Old Video Clips
INTRODUCTION We think it’s interesting to see old video footage of Malaysia and went on YouTube to try and find some suitable...
Empowering Women and Youth for a Better Malaysia
Contributed by Lean In Malaysia EDITOR’S NOTE: Kindly be advised that, due to the anti-ICERD rallies held over the weekend of 8...
Georgia On My Mind
Editor Chad Merchant visited the charming country earlier this year, and months later, is still revelling in the memories.
Expressions of Malaysia: Artist Rachel Gray
Rachel has been living in Malaysia for over four years, and is completely inspired and dazzled by the rich diversity of the...
A Sophisticated Evening at The Mews
It was a wonderful and classy evening with string band performances, canapes, and lovely wines from the Straits Wine Company.