The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has been recognised as one of the top British schools in Malaysia by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which is monitored on behalf of the Department for Education (DfE).
It is the only school in Malaysia to receive an excellent grade in all areas of educational provision by a UK government approved inspectorate.
All British international schools that wish to be recognised by the UK’s department for education and obtain British Overseas School status must be inspected every three years by one of seven UK government approved inspectorates.
The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has recently been inspected by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which inspects many of the UK’s top independent schools.
Following its inspection by ISI in March, the British International School of Kuala Lumpur was graded ‘excellent’ in all areas of educational provision, a result that is comparable to that of top UK independent schools and is unprecedented here in Malaysia.
The school was visited by nine inspectors from overseas who spent a week conducting lesson observations, and interviews with parents, pupils, staff and governors. A total of 185 interviews and lesson observations were conducted. Inspectors also reviewed the school’s policies and processes to ensure they comply with UK standards of good practice.
In the final report, ISI provides an assessment of the school, specifically reporting on the following:
- Pupils’ achievements and their learning, attitudes and skills
- Curricular and extra-curricular provision
- Quality of teaching
- Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils
- Arrangements for welfare, health and safety
- Governance of the school
- Leadership and management of the school
- Links with parents, carers and guardians
The main findings from the report were that “the British International School of Kuala Lumpur meets its challenging aims in exemplary fashion.
“The pupils achieve excellent standards in their learning, stimulated by the high quality of teaching provided by a passionate and committed staff and a broad, innovative, literacy-led curriculum, which includes outstanding provision for music and physical education, and enables the creation of confident speakers.”
Other highlights of the report include:
- “The quality of the pupils’ achievements and of their learning, attitudes, and skills is excellent.”
- “The contribution of extra-curricular activities is outstanding. Pupils have many opportunities to take part in a wide range of activities that include team and individual sports, performance in music, drama and debate.”
- “The contribution of teaching is excellent. The relationship between the teachers and the children is exceptional, and the high quality of teaching ensures excellent learning so that the children are extremely well prepared for the next stage of their education.”
- “The spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils is excellent. The pupils show a strong ethical and moral awareness.”
- “Throughout the school, the quality of pastoral care is excellent. Relationships between staff and pupils and amongst the pupils themselves is excellent.”
- “The excellence of the pupil’s academic and personal development provides evidence of the governors’ outstanding strategic oversight.”
- “Leaders, at all levels, are committed to realising the school’s challenging aims to motivate pupils to achieve the extent of their intellectual and physical abilities, to provide a vibrant, happy and secure environment, and to uphold the values of honesty, integrity and respect.”
For more information, visit the British International School of Kuala Lumpur’s website.
" ExpatGo welcomes and encourages comments, input, and divergent opinions. However, we kindly request that you use suitable language in your comments, and refrain from any sort of personal attack, hate speech, or disparaging rhetoric. Comments not in line with this are subject to removal from the site. "
Buddy Bear and Other Mental Health Hotlines for the CMCO
It may have seemed like Malaysia was heading to become a nation with accessible international travel and mass gatherings once more with...
Water Supply to Resume in 24 Hours says Minister of Environment
As 5 million Selangor residents face a new wave of water cuts, Malaysia’s Minister of Environment and Water told reporters today (19...
The George Town Literary Festival Goes Virtual for 2020
Celebrating its 10th edition, Southeast Asia’s largest and most internationally-popular annual literature festival is heading for a virtual party this year. The...
KLIA Ekspres Reduces ERL Train Frequency During CMCO
Following the National Security Council’s latest implementation of the Conditional Movement Control Order (CMCO) in Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya, and Selangor for 14...
Hi, I’m Back! (Here’s What You Need to Know About Greater KL’s CMCO 2.0)
Spoiler Alert: You can probably forego the Dalgona coffee this round… it’s nothing like the original MCO. (Updated October 19) Putrajaya stunned...
Baby Steps: British Airways Announces Resumption of Flights to Malaysia
International travel is a long way from being back to normal, but in a welcome announcement of an important step towards recovery,...
Malaysia Faces a Trade War with the US Amid Oil Palm Sanctions
The United States Customs and Border Protection agency (CBP) has officially applied sanctions against one of Malaysia’s largest palm oil companies, FGV...
Cultured Couture: The Kanjivaram Silk Weave
August and September of this unbelievably eventful year saw a hesitant but pride-filled Merdeka and Malaysia Day combo celebration. The whole nation...
Is the Recent Surge of Covid Cases in Malaysia Cause for Panic?
When considered in context – and for the country as a whole – there is reason for concern and vigilance, but the...
Sunway City Kuala Lumpur Eyes New Era with Total Transformation of Flagship Sunway Resort Hotel & Spa
Sunway City Kuala Lumpur has earmarked USD60 million for a tantalising transformation of its flagship property, Sunway Resort Hotel & Spa, in...