The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has been recognised as one of the top British schools in Malaysia by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which is monitored on behalf of the Department for Education (DfE).
It is the only school in Malaysia to receive an excellent grade in all areas of educational provision by a UK government approved inspectorate.
All British international schools that wish to be recognised by the UK’s department for education and obtain British Overseas School status must be inspected every three years by one of seven UK government approved inspectorates.
The British International School of Kuala Lumpur has recently been inspected by the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI), which inspects many of the UK’s top independent schools.
Following its inspection by ISI in March, the British International School of Kuala Lumpur was graded ‘excellent’ in all areas of educational provision, a result that is comparable to that of top UK independent schools and is unprecedented here in Malaysia.
The school was visited by nine inspectors from overseas who spent a week conducting lesson observations, and interviews with parents, pupils, staff and governors. A total of 185 interviews and lesson observations were conducted. Inspectors also reviewed the school’s policies and processes to ensure they comply with UK standards of good practice.
In the final report, ISI provides an assessment of the school, specifically reporting on the following:
- Pupils’ achievements and their learning, attitudes and skills
- Curricular and extra-curricular provision
- Quality of teaching
- Spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils
- Arrangements for welfare, health and safety
- Governance of the school
- Leadership and management of the school
- Links with parents, carers and guardians
The main findings from the report were that “the British International School of Kuala Lumpur meets its challenging aims in exemplary fashion.
“The pupils achieve excellent standards in their learning, stimulated by the high quality of teaching provided by a passionate and committed staff and a broad, innovative, literacy-led curriculum, which includes outstanding provision for music and physical education, and enables the creation of confident speakers.”
Other highlights of the report include:
- “The quality of the pupils’ achievements and of their learning, attitudes, and skills is excellent.”
- “The contribution of extra-curricular activities is outstanding. Pupils have many opportunities to take part in a wide range of activities that include team and individual sports, performance in music, drama and debate.”
- “The contribution of teaching is excellent. The relationship between the teachers and the children is exceptional, and the high quality of teaching ensures excellent learning so that the children are extremely well prepared for the next stage of their education.”
- “The spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of the pupils is excellent. The pupils show a strong ethical and moral awareness.”
- “Throughout the school, the quality of pastoral care is excellent. Relationships between staff and pupils and amongst the pupils themselves is excellent.”
- “The excellence of the pupil’s academic and personal development provides evidence of the governors’ outstanding strategic oversight.”
- “Leaders, at all levels, are committed to realising the school’s challenging aims to motivate pupils to achieve the extent of their intellectual and physical abilities, to provide a vibrant, happy and secure environment, and to uphold the values of honesty, integrity and respect.”
For more information, visit the British International School of Kuala Lumpur’s website.
Fiction Books by Malaysian Authors You Need to Check Out
With news of Penguin Random House, the world’s largest paperback publisher, opening a Southeast Asian headquarter in Singapore this year, many budding...
Tips for Staying Awake at the Office
For people who have office jobs, there’s one thing that almost everyone has something in common: the unexpected lull periods that find...
An Unforgettable Winter Sojourn to Budapest
The hashtag I decided upon for my trip (finally jumped on the millennial bandwagon) was #MyWinterSojourn. Oxford defines sojourn as a temporary stay,...
5 Traditional Malaysian Villages to Visit Around Kuala Lumpur
This post is brought to you in part by Tourism Malaysia. Kuala Lumpur may be Malaysia’s biggest, most advanced achievement as a...
A Straight Line from Singapore to Busan
Busan becomes a milestone for Singapore’s SilkAir as the metropolitan city is set to become the first South Korean destination for their...
‘Reel’ Travel Locations for Every Movie Lover’s Bucket List
This post is brought to you by Agoda. To mark the end of the film awards season next week, Agoda, one of...
Ethiopian Airlines Gears Up for the World
As Africa’s leading carrier airlines, Ethiopia Airlines is proud to announce their newest venture, the Ethiopian Skylight Hotel. Located just a little...
Qatar Airways Celebrates One Year of Service to Penang, Malaysia
This post is brought to you by Qatar Airways. The award-winning airline celebrates its first anniversary at Penang International Airport with a...
International Women’s Day Events in Kuala Lumpur
International Women’s Day celebrations this year involve all kinds of empowering seminars, workshops, and informative talks on important subjects that still plague...
Teach a Child to Fish, They Will Be Ethical for Life
Last November, Malaysia broke new ground in the world of fishing by being host to the first youth angling event in Asia...