Malaysia has a rapidly growing industry of e-commerce websites, especially online marketplaces. With people leading busy lifestyles, online buying and selling become more preferable.
Malaysia Alexa Rank: 10
Facebook Likes: 2,042,170+
The biggest Malaysian online marketplace, Mudah was established as a joint venture between Schibsted ASA and Singapore Press Holdings Limited. The brainchild of 701Search Sdn Bhd, currently known as Mudah.my Sdn Bhd, Mudah is literally “the” marketplace of Malaysia. This is a site similar to the US-based OLX classified site.
The word ‘Mudah’ means Easy in Bahasa Melayu, and as its name suggests, the website is quite simple to use. Buyers and sellers can look for or advertise products according to region. There’s also an extensive list of policies and rules for advertisers and buyers. Here, anyone can buy or sell pretty much anything, from cars, properties, electronics, clothes and so much more.
Since this website connects sellers to buyers directly, Mudah has prepared a handy guide on how to shop safely online. They also regulate the ads posted to make sure that all the ads follow the rules, so they do try to make sure the site is a safe place for trading.
- Mudah is easy to use. You need not be a geek to use it. It has an extremely simple user interface, and a webpage that is less cluttered than most other sites. The Mudah web pages only have the information and tabs you need to buy or sell, which makes it a great site for all.
- Enables you to buy and sell a wide range of goods
- Also lists jobs
- Page design is plain and simple and does not have the appeal that other e-commerce sites have
2. eBay Malaysia
Malaysia Alexa Ranking: 328
Facebook Likes: 424,000+
eBay, the highly popular online marketplace of the world, also caters to the Malaysian consumers. People in Malaysia can visit ebay.com.my to buy and sell goods online under several categories. eBay is one of the most trusted marketplaces and also lets you put up your offering for auction. For convenience of the users, the site features products from dealers in Malaysia and other countries with shipping options to Malaysia. The prices of the products are also mentioned in Ringgit Malaysia. One can find used and new products on the site, and choose to buy by bidding, or by paying a set price.
The site is easy to use and can be customised to view listings from sellers in Malaysia, or in Asia and other parts of the world too.
- eBay is a trusted site, enabling secure payments through PayPal and other payment options
- Has the option for immediate purchase and auction too
- Can be used for selling and buying products from other countries too
- Hundreds of product categories to choose from – including vehicles and real estate
- Deals and Discounts on a daily basis
- Does not allow location specific search
- Available only in English
See also: Beginner’s guide to Ebay Malaysia
Malaysia Alexa Rank: 27
Facebook Likes: 262,500+
As you can see from its Alexa rank, Lelong is one of the most visited websites in Malaysia. It is the Malaysian version of eBay, and is an online auction and shopping website. As its name suggests, Lelong offers products at low prices and has over 10,000 active sellers.
Lelong is owned and operated by the History Interbase Resources Sdn. Bhd., a Malaysian firm founded back in 1998. Registration is a must to buy or sell through this site, and Lelong has detailed “how to” pages for help. To sell your own products on Lelong, you have to open your own online store on the site; Lelong also offers assistance with promoting your store and creating discount coupons.
The site offers products from well-known international and local brands at discounted rates. Some of the brands that you can find on the website include Mango, Nike, HTC, Apple and Samsung. Lelong is also a great place for vendors, as almost 70% of all items posted end up being sold – this is why you can find so many brands on Lelong.
- Offers live bidding once a week through its Superbid Wednesdays offer
- Use Lelong.com ID and password to buy products directly from sellers and get huge discounts
- Discounts and special offers on a daily basis
- Site available in Chinese and English
- The design of the homepage makes it look cluttered, which can be overwhelming for new users
Making the right choice
When looking for a marketplace to buy or sell something, it is wise to go for the reliable and reputable ones like Mudah and eBay. For convenience in selling your products and services within the Malaysian peninsula, to target the local population, you can consider Lelong. In any case, the ease of use, the features and the security of the websites are the main factors that you should consider before choosing a marketplace for selling, or for buying.
Another online marketplace, which is very popular in the States, and slowly catching on in Malaysia Etsy. For more information about Etsy, read our post: Etsy Malaysia – An Online Market for Vintage Items and Craft Supplies.
What are your favourite online marketplaces in Malaysia? Share your thoughts in the comments below. Also, stay in touch with us by registering for our free e-newsletter here.
- How to Buy and Sell on eBay in Malaysia
- A Beginner’s Guide to Lelong.my
- A Beginner’s Guide to Mudah
- Etsy in Malaysia: An Online Market Places for Vintage Items and Craft Supplies
- Top Online Shopping Sites You Should Know in Malaysia
- Great Group Buying, Deal, and Coupon Websites in Malaysia
- Great Online Gift Shops in Malaysia
Note: Facebook Page Likes discussed were recorded on November 2016.
"ExpatGo welcomes and encourages comments, input, and divergent opinions. However, we kindly request that you use suitable language in your comments, and refrain from any sort of personal attack, hate speech, or disparaging rhetoric. Comments not in line with this are subject to removal from the site. "