P1 is one of the major broadband providers in Malaysia. This post intends to help you make the best decision about whether you should select P1 broadband services and which broadband package is right for you. If anything is unclear, post a question in the comments below.
Read More: What is broadband?
Is P1 Broadband Right for You?
Selecting a broadband service requires you to consider several factors. We’ve outlined the steps you should consider in the context of P1.
1. Do you want P1 Consumer or P1 Business services?
P1 offers broadband services for consumers and businesses. Consumers means broadband consumer for the individual person, whether it’s to be used at home or on-the-go. And business means business. In this post, we focus only on P1 Consumer broadband services.
2. Does P1 cover your area?
If you’re keen to get a P1 broadband plan, you need to make sure that P1 covers your area. You can do that by visiting this page of P1 Max website.
3. How much internet will you use?
You should choose a P1 plan that suits your internet usage. P1 offers a variety of options, such as plans specifically for the home, plans for on the go, prepaid, postpaid, different speeds, different download/upload limits and more. To help you choose a broadband plan, check out the P1 Guide on their website. Also note, we’ve provided insights about further down this post.
4. What types of broadband do you want? Wireless or fiber? Broadband for the home or broadband for on-the-go?
It’s important to note that P1 offers two types of broadband technologies. These two types of broadband services have different areas of coverage and different pros and cons.
- Wireless broadband: P1 offers a wireless broadband service, which is run on a 4G network. With Wireless Broadband your modem connects to the internet wirelessly. P1 offers both prepaid and postpaid wireless broadband options. It also wireless broadband packages designed for the home, for on-the-go, and a package designed for both. (Note: The 4G network P1 offers is faster than the more commonly used 3G wireless broadband services in Malaysia. However, don’t confuse P1’s 4G with 4G LTE, as 4G LTE is slightly faster. 4G LTE is currently offered by Maxis and Celcom in limited areas.)
- Fiber Broadband: P1 offers Fiber broadband plans too, which is faster but requires modem to connect to the internet using a special cable plugged into the wal. Additionally, fiber requires a longer contractual commitment – 24 months. The P1 wireless broadband postpaid plans range from 6 to 24 month contracts (P1 prepaid requires no contract). While a fiber based modem restricts the modem’s mobility, the upside is that it is typically noticeably faster than wireless broadband modems.
Additionally, P1 offer broadband plans designed for the home and broadband plans for on-the-go purposes.
5. What is your budget
You should consider the cost of the P1 broadband service compared to others. P1 offers competitive rates; however, we don’t cover cost in too much depth in this article, because our website is focused on helping you understand the types of broadband packages in Malaysia. Additionally, prices and special promotions can fluctuate. So, once you find the type of broadband package you want, then it’s always best to compare it’s price to other broadband services in Malaysia.
6. Does P1 have good customer service support?
Customer service is an important factor in deciding the right broadband service; however, this can also be one of the most difficult factors for us to evaluate. Thus, we don’t touch upon that too much either. However, we strongly encourage you to share your customer service experiences in the comments below, so we can all learn from each other.
Below we explain the different P1 Wireless broadband and P1 Fiber broadband packages.
P1 offers four types of wireless broadband plans through their 4G network. We have outlined them below.
1. OnePlan – A Plan Designed for the Home and On-The-Go
The P1 OnePlan is designed for people that want a wireless broadband plan to use at home and on-the-go. It does this by providing the subscriber two different types of modems. One modem is designed for the home, as it more powerful but larger in size. The second modem is designed to be used on the go, as it is smaller in size but less powerful (weaker signal, etc).
This OnePlan also includes a free desk phone or, for an additional RM 50, a DECT Phone (i.e. a cordless phone). This also comes with an allocated set of free minutes for calling each month.
Monthly Price Range for the OnePlan
- Price: RM 109 per month to RM 169 per month
- Download/Upload Quota Limit: 8GB quota per month to 35 GB per month (i.e. this refers to how much you can download/upload each month)
- Speed: 1 Mbps to 4 Mbps
- Contractual Commitment: 12 months to 24 months
For more details about the OnePlan, visit this page of the P1 website.
2. ForHome plan
The P1 ForHome wireless broadband plan is designed for people who want a wireless broadband package for their home. It’s similar to the OnePlan, except the one key difference is that you do not get second modem, which is designed to be used on the go. You only get the main modem which is designed to be placed and used at home.
Monthly Price Range for the ForHome plan
- Price: RM 79 per month to RM 139 per month
- Download / Upload Quota Limit: 8 GB per month to 35 GB per month
- Speed: 1 Mbps to 4 Mbps
- Contractual Commitment: 12 months to 24 months
For more information about the ForHome plan, visit this page of the P1 website.
3. ToGo Prepaid plans
The P1 ToGo prepaid plans is designed for people who need internet access on-the-go and want to be able to pay-as-you-use.
Get a Starter Kit
To get a prepaid plan, you need to purchase a starter kit, which will cost you RM 199. This allows you to upload/download 4gb with a validity of 30 days and a speed of up to 800kbps. As you can, the speed is slower for prepaid than postpaid.
Once of you surpassed your quota or validity time, you’ll need to “top up” so you can still access the internet. P1 provides two options for topping up:
- RM 20 Top Up: This top up plan provides a quota of 500MB, download speed of up to 800kbps, and expires after 15 days.
- RM 50 Top Up: This top up plan provides a quota of 2GB, a download speed of up to 800kbps, and expires after 30 days.
Key takeaways for ToGo prepaid plans: Basically, the plus side with the ToGo prepaid plan is that it does not require a contract. The downside is that the speed is slightly slower and your cost per usage will be slightly higher than it would be with a postpaid plan.
For more information about reloading, visit this page of the P1 website.
4. ToGo Postpaid plans
The postpaid plans are best for those who need internet on the go and prefer to have a monthly bill. If you need internet access consistently and frequently on-the-go, then this is probably a better option than the ToGo prepaid plan.
Monthly Price Range for ToGo Postpaid Plans
Below is the price range and value you receive with each ToGo Postpaid plan.
- Price: RM 39 to RM 99 per month
- Download / Upload Quota: 3 GB to 15 GB
- Speed 1 Mbps to Uncapped (P1 provides note suggest the Uncapped speed would correspond to a maximum speed of up to 10 Mbps)
- Contract Commitments: 6 months to 24 months
Types of P1 Wireless Broadband Modems
Below are the types of wireless modems you could receive, depending on the P1 plan you choose.
Wireless Modems for On-The-Go
- UT-235: This P1 modem let’s your computer device connect to the internet wirelessly when it’s plugged into the USB port. There is no WiFi, thus only the device with the modem plugged into it can connect to the internet.
- UH-235: This P1 modem let’s your computer device connect to the internet wireless when it’s plugged into the USB port. There is no WiFi, thus only the device with the modem plugged into it can connect to the internet. Additionally, P1 claims this is a high performance modem, supposedly offering better antennas and stronger signal reception than the UT-235 modem.
- MF230: This is a 4G WiFi modem and allows up to 6 devices to wirelessly connect to this modem for internet access.
- MX230: This is a compact 4G WiFi modem and allows up to 8 devices to wirelessly connect to this modem for internet access.
Wireless Modems for the Home
P1 refers to the wireless modems designed for the home as desktop modems. Here are the two types of desktop wireless modems:
- DV230: The modem supports WiFi, has one phone port (as the home wireless broadband plans comes with a phone), and 1 LAN port (for if you choose to plug your computer into the modem rather than access access it through the WiFi)
- DX230: This modem supports WiFi, has two phone ports and two LAN ports.
The price for each modem depends on the P1 package you purchase. You can read more about the On-The-Go wireless modems on this page of the P1 website.
You can read more about the Desktop modems on this page of the P1 website.
The P1 Fiber broadband plan is really a combo package: (1) a modem for the home, designed to access the fiber broadband and (2) a second modem to be used on-the-go for wireless broadband.
Monthly Price Range for Fiber Broadband Plans
- Price: RM 169 to RM 269 per month
- Download / Upload Quota for Fiber-based Modem: 50GB to 200GB
- Download / Upload Quota for Wireless Modem: 3GB
- Speed for Fiber-based Modem: 5Mbps to 20Mbps
- Speed for Wireless Modem: 1Mbps
- Contract Commitment: 24 months
Compare P1 to Other Broadband Services in Malaysia
You can also compare P1 to some similar broadband services in Malaysia.
Here are other wireless broadband services we reviewed, so you can compare them to P1:
Here are oher fiber broadband services we reviewed, so you can compare them to P1:
Have you used P1? If so, please share your thoughts below to help us learn from one another.
" ExpatGo welcomes and encourages comments, input, and divergent opinions. However, we kindly request that you use suitable language in your comments, and refrain from any sort of personal attack, hate speech, or disparaging rhetoric. Comments not in line with this are subject to removal from the site. "